Galashiels, Scotland, Town Website
home | news | business | organisations | history | braw lads

Town Trail

Post Office (12)

At the end of Channel Street you will find the Post Office with the Bank of Scotland, dating from 1862 next door. Five years beforehand, the Bank operated from premises to the west of the present Post Office.

Gala's first Post Office was located in Elm Row, near the Mercat Cross. Prior to the opening of that office, all letters were delivered to Melrose, Selkirk or Stagehall by stage coaches or via coal and lime transports. The hapless recipient in Gala would have to journey to one of these places to collect any letters. After the Elm Row office, the 'Post' moved to Market Place. It was later located in Bank Street for a short time. A further move came in 1863 when it relocated to High Street before an increase in the volume of business led to the building of the present Post Office in 1894.

Continue on to High Street. As you cross over Sime Place, look to the right and see the former St Andrew's Kirk. Further along High Street on the right and set back from the building line, is St Ninian's Church of Scotland, dating from 1844. This church, built in a Romanesque style, was enlarged in 1868. The paved area in front was originally enclosed by railings but these were removed during the Second World War. At the end of High Street, beside the traffic lights, is the former Co-op building.

Next: Former Co-op Building

Introduction
Historical Background
Where to Start
(1) Scott Park
(2) Old Gala House
(3) Old Parish & St Paul's Church
(4a) The Tolbooth and Cloth Hall
(4b) The Mercat Cross
(5) Tea Street
(6) Old Burial Ground
(7) St Peter's Episcopal Church & School
(8) Burgh Buildings
(9) Public Library
(10) Market Square
(11) Church of Our Lady & St Andrew
(12) Post Office
(13) Former Co-op Building
(14) Glasite Chapel
(15) Burgh School
(16) Bank Street Gardens
(17) Volunteer Hall
Site by Bordernet in the Scottish Borders  |   legal