Galashiels, Scotland, Town Website
home | news | business | organisations | history | braw lads

Town Trail

St Peter's Episcopal Church & School (7)

Set a short distance back from Abbotsford Road, this whinstone church was constructed during 1853 in the Early English Style. The land on which it was built was gifted to the Scottish Episcopal Church by the Scotts of Gala. There is a memorial in the church to Major Henry Scott, the last direct descendant of the family. He died in 1940 during the defence of Calais whilst in command of the 60th Rifles. This desperate defence allowed a great many allied soldiers to be evacuated from Dunkirk. The east window of the church has fine stained glass depicting the crucifixion. The hall to the right was added in 1891.

The school, built in 1859, catered for over 200 children from the surrounding area. To provide better teaching conditions, a new building was opened in 1938 on Parsonage Road a short distance to the east. The old school finally closed in the late 1960s when additional classrooms were added to the 1930s school. The old school building is now the Galashiels office of the Scottish Borders Council Social Work Department.

Return towards the town centre down Albert Place. On the left at the bottom of the road is Lawyers' Brae (at one time called The Loan) where you see the Public Library and on the right are the Burgh Buildings.

Next: Burgh Buildings


St Peter's Episcopal Church


St Peter's School
Introduction
Historical Background
Where to Start
(1) Scott Park
(2) Old Gala House
(3) Old Parish & St Paul's Church
(4a) The Tolbooth and Cloth Hall
(4b) The Mercat Cross
(5) Tea Street
(6) Old Burial Ground
(7) St Peter's Episcopal Church & School
(8) Burgh Buildings
(9) Public Library
(10) Market Square
(11) Church of Our Lady & St Andrew
(12) Post Office
(13) Former Co-op Building
(14) Glasite Chapel
(15) Burgh School
(16) Bank Street Gardens
(17) Volunteer Hall
Site by Bordernet in the Scottish Borders  |   legal