Public Library (9)
The Public Library replaced an earlier subscription library
which had been founded in 1797. Everyone wishing to use the
library had to pay an annual subscription and each time they
went into the building an entrance fee was charged. Subscribers
reduced in numbers over time and the library closed in 1859.
A free public library was first suggested in 1871 and it was
opened on Lawyers' Brae in 1873. Due to demand for books,
the building was extended in 1890. Both the original reading
rooms and the extension were built by public subscription.
Notice the carving of the words 'Free Library' over the central
The open area in front of the Library and Burgh Buildings
is called Cornmill Square and was built on the site of the
town's corn mill. In the centre is a fountain built in 1913,
to a design by Sir Robert Lorimer, over the lade system which
powered the mill and those of the woollen mills towards Netherdale.
The water system is partially concealed by the balustrade
but is well worth looking into.
Cross over Cornmill Square and, with the War Memorial on
your right, head along Market Street. The landscaped open
area on the left is called Market Square.
Next: Market Square
The Public Library