Galashiels, Scotland, Town Website
home | news | business | organisations | history | braw lads

Town Trail

Church Of Our Lady & St Andrew (11)

Across the Gala Water you can see the Roman Catholic Church of Our Lady and St Andrew. This church was completed in 1858 and extended in 1870. Inside the church, there is a side altar which is a memorial to the numerous Polish soldiers stationed in Galashiels during the Second World War. After the end of that conflict many chose to stay in the town and become part of the community.

Taking care, cross the road and walk behind the bus station, along the side of the Gala Water. Cross the Douglas Bridge over the water and walk through the shopping precinct to Channel Street, then turn right.

At the junction of Douglas Bridge and Channel Street on your right is a large red sandstone building - formerly the Douglas Hotel. This has recently been converted into private flats. Channel Street was resurfaced and paved by Scottish Borders Council in 1998 with grant aid from the European Union. From here to the western end of Channel Street was once called Tannage Street. The tannery which was located at the end of Channel Street needed a constant supply of water. After passing through the works, the water (known locally as the Tanny Burn) was allowed to run into a channel, hence the name of the street.

Next: Post Office


Church Of Our Lady & St Andrew
Introduction
Historical Background
Where to Start
(1) Scott Park
(2) Old Gala House
(3) Old Parish & St Paul's Church
(4a) The Tolbooth and Cloth Hall
(4b) The Mercat Cross
(5) Tea Street
(6) Old Burial Ground
(7) St Peter's Episcopal Church & School
(8) Burgh Buildings
(9) Public Library
(10) Market Square
(11) Church of Our Lady & St Andrew
(12) Post Office
(13) Former Co-op Building
(14) Glasite Chapel
(15) Burgh School
(16) Bank Street Gardens
(17) Volunteer Hall
Site by Bordernet in the Scottish Borders  |   legal