Galashiels, Scotland, Town Website
home | news | business | organisations | history | braw lads

Galashiels Town Trail

Introduction

Introduction to Galashiels Town Trail

Historical Background

Brief History

Where to Start

Beginning in St John Street, named after the Kirk which used to occupy the site

Scott Park

Note the ornate cast iron gates and railings

Old Gala House

Built in the 16th Century

Old Parish & St Paul's Church

This impressive building is made from red sandstone

The Tolbooth and Cloth Hall

Built for the weavers of the town

The Mercat Cross

Symbol of a town's trading status

Tea Street

Built in the late 17th century

Old Burial Ground

Within the grounds is the family tomb of Mungo Park

St Peter's Episcopal Church & School

Constructed during 1853 in the Early English Style

Burgh Buildings

The original Burgh Building is the two storey block

Public Library

Opened in 1873 on Lawyers' Brae

Market Square

Situated at the east end of Channel Street

Church of Our Lady & St Andrew

This Roman Catholic Church was completed in 1858

Post Office

Built in the late 19th century

Former Co-op Building

The Cop-operative Society in Galashiels was founded in 1839

Glasite Chapel

The Glasite Movement followed the teachings of Paster John Glas

Burgh School

The Burgh School was built in 1874

Bank Street Gardens

Bank Street Gardens are much admired by locals and visitors

Volunteer Hall

Built as a drill hall for the Gala Forest Rifles
 
>>back<<
Site by Bordernet in the Scottish Borders  |   legal